Emmanuel Pio Goco exposes the majority of the outlandish claims tossed against President Rodrigo Duterte by his stalwart commentators who were continually restricting the escalated crusades of the organization consequently, indefatigably endeavoring to down the President. Pio Goco is the child of the late previous specialist general Raul Goco amid the term of previous president Fidel V. Ramos.
In his Facebook post, Goco intrepidly answers Duterte’s spoilers point by point who were naming President as “tyrant”. “DU30 is a Federalist. A federalist at heart is a person who is determined to break up imperial executive power and give it to the regions. “A Dictator wants all powers to himself like an imperial black hole. Whereas a Federalist empowers the regions to govern themselves but he simply cannot be both.” “It’s a contradiction of terms to be Dictator and Federalist. Frankly it was more dictatorial before DU30 was President.” Goco had additionally listed the issues that are usually used by the President’s political adversaries and faultfinders asserting that Duterte had closed down or censored anyone from expressing their thoughts against the government.
“The entire opposition machinery is still working overtime to ‘disrupt’ his agenda and that includes VP Robredo, Sen Trillanes, Cong. Lagman and Alejano, The Left, Joma Sison, select leaders of the Catholic Church et al.” “The free press is still free to print and publish any story they deem fit as public interest and yes even libel and slant the President’s words and at times create sc4nd41.” Goco ended his post by reminding everyone that in this government we all still have our choice whether or not listen and understand the President and praises Duterte style. “He is a unique phenomenon. A one of a kind sonafabitch cum patriot. So enjoy him while he is around moving mountains. Relish his moves as he afflicts the comforted and comforts the afflicted. Watch him as he curiously takes our country forward. You may never see anything like him again.”
Goco’s Facebook post reads:
Of all the misnomers about DU30, one of the most absurd is he is a Dictator. Let me refute this idea point by point.
1. DU30 is a Federalist.: A federalist at heart is a person who is determined to break up imperial executive power and give it to the regions. He is allocating executive responsibility to the regions by giving them the power to chart regional economic policy while retaining some executive powers to the Feds like foreign policy and federal peace and order. A Dictator wants all powers to himself like an imperial black hole. Whereas a Federalist empowers the regions to govern themselves but he simply cannot be both. It’s a contradiction of terms to be Dictator and Federalist. Frankly it was more dictatorial before DU30 was President. Why do you think there were so many balimbings? He is reforming and decentralizing the power dynamics so we can be more effective representatives of the regions regardless of party affilliations. That is ‘inclusion’ in action. No region is left behind or out like before.
2. DU30 knows his executive power has limits.: DU30 does not speak in public like the Pope or a Dictator speaks in public. His words are not ‘Ex Cathedra’ policy like what Ex Sol Gen Hilbay insinuates. His words can influence policy and lead the agenda but ultimately that influence is reflected only via signed law endorsed by the joint assent of Congress and via EO. When he talks mostly in public, it’s his opinion unless that opinion is pursued and legislated by Congress. He understands the co-equal, separation of powers principle in Democratic governance. Now what about the ouster of CJ Sereno? That was the Supreme Court en banc interpreting the Constitution and deciding her ouster not DU30. The deciding vote was SC Assoc Justice Jardeleza who was appointed by the prior administration. Upon appeal, he reaffirmed his vote.
3. DU30 has not shut down the voices of his political opponents, the free press, multi media and social media networks.
Some may say well what about Senator DeLima? The Senator is in jail not because of her opposition to Du30 but because of unbailable drvq proliferation charges. In the meantime, the entire opposition machinery is still working overtime to ‘disrupt’ his agenda and that includes VP Robredo, Sen Trillanes, Cong. Lagman and Alejano, The Left, Joma Sison, select leaders of the Catholic Church et al. The free press is still free to print and publish any story they deem fit as public interest and yes even libel and slant the President’s words and at times create sc4nd41. Rappler is still in the punditry business and the CHR is funded and has not been shut down. All social media platforms like Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram continue to operate without any restrictions, regulation or censorship.
4. DU30 is not Pikon.: Last June 12 when he was in Kawit, Cavite, he was ambushed by noisy protesters prior to his speech. And what did he say when they were slamming him? He said the Filipino Citizen has every right to free speech. It is guaranteed by the Constitution. He then waits for them to finish and if they have to be dispersed, exercise ‘Maximum Tolerance’. This has also happened time and again with the ‘Libingan ng Bayani’ Protests and Mocha’s tiff with Kris A among others. But going back to those Kawit protesters raining insults on Du30, if that happened during the time of Dictator Macoy, those audacious protesters would be rounded up and most likely end up dead.
5. DU30 has not shut down Congress or the Supreme Court.: As a co-equal branch of government, he respects the joint sessions of Congress in their power to make laws. He does not favor only his party. He just recently signed the Mental Health Law whose bill was led by Sen Rissa Hontiveros. So good law regardless of political affiliations is good law and he signs it. He has even appointed known opposition moderates into his Cabinet like Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra and Spokesperson Harry Roque. Even his new PNP Chief Albayalde came from the ranks and was appointed based on merit. Furthermore, DU30 delegates his power and trusts his cabinet and lets them do their jobs. He does not grab credit but they are accountable. And if he finds compelling fault, they are fired. The SC continues to be independent despite insinuations that it isn’t. It is not a rubber stamp since DU30 court appointees are merely a minority there.
6. DU30 enforces the law in the books.: In a Democracy, you are not free to do anything you please. That is the law of a savage and we are not savages but civilized educated people. There are laws that maintain peace and order. And the enforcement of the anti drvq proliferation law is a mandate of his government, the basis of which was not even made law in his time. It became a National security issue in GMA’s time. He understood that the drvq trade must not propagate because it imperils the citizens. So he empowers the PNP to go after abusers, pushers and repeat offenders to enforce the law. And perhaps certain PNP officers don’t follow proper protocols of arrest or respects due process. And so he arrests the corrupt PNP violators, enforces discipline or fires them. But we cannot just let drvq lords be because the system isn’t perfect. But once an arrest is made they are booked and bail is set. If the suspect f1qhts back and endangers the life of a PNP officer, then they can protect themselves and put down the suspect permanently if necessary. In any Democracy the proper application and enforcement of justice is always necessary for our safety and security and yet we are not a police state. The US and Europe does likewise. Even the Superfriends do it.
7. Du30’s past as Mayor of Davao.: There are other obvious reasons why Du30 is not a Dictator and will never be one. In Davao as Mayor, he also had Councilors he had to work with. He did all his work as Mayor thru a Sanggunian. That’s a democratically elected body right there. He has been a democratically elected official most of his life and succeeded in that environment. He has never lost a fairly contested election. He has faith in democratic processes. Why would he change his spots now that he is much older and pushing retirement? He can’t. He won’t. He still has to go back to Davao when he is done. He still has a legacy to uphold.
8. Checks and Balances.: Other than the person of Du30, the one that stands out is the COA that audits government expenses and the Ombudsman that functions as Internal Affairs. No Dictator will submit to those control powers but they function in this government. They have authorization to audit him and later on, the Ombudsman can go after him if he did wrong. His SALN is updated yearly. There is also the continued existence of the co-equal branches of power to check him. Lastly, we all know DU30 rambles in his speeches. Don’t call it speeches. They are lectures. At times they are sermons. He is sometimes too harsh with his insults. He can drone on and on. I occasionally wince at his extemporaneous temperamental methods. But that is his straight from the heart style of communicating to his audience and emphasizing his points. As a democratically elected President, he is entitled to his style of exercising his power. Apparently it’s effective. The poll numbers show it. He won because of his sincerity and candor. Maybe we should depart from our rigid interpretation of how that power is exercised. Maybe there is a teachable moment here. Something never seen before. Puwede pala yang style ni DU30. It’s not pretty but he does get things done. He comes off as not imperial at all. He is a ‘Ganito Yan’ story teller.
And if this democracy be affirmed, it is because we can accommodate diverse styles to go with our halohalo regional diversity. In a Democracy, we always have choices and in DU30, we always have a choice to listen to him, to understand him or not. We can turn off the TV set or keep it turned on. His style is most peculiar. He is a unique phenomenon. A one of a kind sonafabitch cum patriot.So enjoy him while he is around moving mountains. Relish his moves as he afflicts the comforted and comforts the afflicted. Watch him as he curiously takes our country forward. You may never see anything like him again. He is an enlightened Kanto boy but Dictator? Yeah yeah.. He may have said so before to make you stay on your toes but perish the thought. He just ain’t it.